Church of San Giacometo
Thanks to the #Venezia1600 celebrations, the most symbolic Church of Venice will open for free guided tours every morning from the 1st of June.
The church of San Giacomo (also known as the Church of San Giacometo) is the oldest church of Venice.
It is located nearby Rialto market that was the financial and commercial center of Serenissima.
The legend tells that on the 25th of March 421 - at 12pm – Eutinopo, a carpenter called “ The Greek ” , placed the first stone, praying the protection of the Saint after a dangerous fire.
The external facade presents a big clock with the sun in the center and a Gotich portico, the authentic one on the city. In 1071 it was rebuild by Domenico Selvo, the Doge, and in 1514, douring a terrible fire that destroied a large part of the Rialto area, miraculously, the Church was not destroyed.
The church is now supervised by the Arciconfraternita of San Cristoforo and of the Misericordia.