24. Gallerie dell’Accademia
The Gallerie dell’Accademia, established during the Napoleonic era (1807) for the purpose of creating an educational collection for the training of young artists, offer an extraordinary compendium of Venetian and Veneto art, from the fourteenth to the eighteenth century. The works in this great museum come partly from the religious congregations and the Venetian magistrature (public offices) suppressed during the Napoleonic domination, and partly from a number of bequests and donations. There are also many and important works by Tintoretto in the Gallerie, which originally came from confraternities (Scuole), churches and various magistrature. There are about twenty works of the highest quality, covering a wide time span in the artist’s production, from the astonishing The Miracle of the Slave of 1548, painted for the Scuola Grande di San Marco, which brought Jacopo to the attention of the city, to pictures dating to the end of the 1570s. On the occasion of the 500th anniversary, the exhibition organised here, The Young Tintoretto, is dedicated to the masterpieces of the artist’s first decade of activity, and to the artistic and cultural context in which the artist began his career; it presents works both the Gallerie dell’Accademia’s own collections and important loans. Six other works from the Gallerie are on display at the Palazzo Ducale and/or Washington◄ exhibitions. After the exhibition, the set of Tintoretto paintings will find a new location on the first floor of the museum, within the context of the refurbishment currently under way to create the “Grandi Gallerie”.
Mon., 8.15 a.m. - 2 p.m.; Tues.-Sun., 8.15 a.m. - 7.15 p.m.
(ticket office closes one hour before).
Closed 1 January, 25 December.
25. Church of Santa Maria del Carmelo (Carmini)
The Presentation of Christ in the Temple, c. 1548, 360 × 200 cm
Daily, 7.30 a.m. - 12 noon; 2.30 - 7 p.m.
26. Church of Santa Maria della Salute
The Wedding Feast at Cana, 1561, 440 × 590 cm
Sacristy: Mon. - Sat., 10 a.m. - 12 noon; 3 - 5.30 p.m.. Sun., 3 - 5 p.m.
27. Church of Santa Maria del Rosario (Gesuati)*
The Crucifixion, c. 1565, 297 × 165 cm
Daily, 7.30 a.m. - 7 p.m.
28. Church of Santi Gervasio e Protasio (San Trovaso)
The Last Supper, 1563–64, 221 × 413 cm TheTemptation of Saint Anthony, c. 1577–78, 282 × 165 cm
Mon. - Sat., 8 - 11 a.m.; 2.30 - 5.30 p.m.