9. Ateneo Veneto
The Apparition of the Virgin to Saint Jerome, c.1580, 276 × 194 cm▼
Mon.-Fri., 10 a.m. - 12 noon; 2 - 4.30 p.m.
10. Saint Mark’s Basilica
The cartoon of a mosaic is the drawing or painted sketch used as the basis for making the mosaic. Many of the cartoons for the mosaics realised during the renovation of the Basilica’s decorations in the sixteenth century are by Tintoretto, including those of the vaults of the central dome and the one for the Wedding Feast at Cana produced in 1568 by the mosaicist Bartolomeo Bozza on the left side of the transept, in the north dome.
Weekdays, 9.30 a.m. - 5 p.m. (last entrance 4.45 p.m.); Sundays and holidays, 2 - 4.30 p.m. (last entrance 4.15 p.m.)
11. Monumental Halls of the Biblioteca Nazionale Marciana
Philosophers (five paintings), 1571-72, 250 × 160 cm each
from 1 November to 31 March, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.; from 1 April to 31 October, 10 a.m. - 7 p.m. (ticket office closes one hour before).
Combined ticket with Palazzo Ducale and Museo Correr. Entrance through the Museo Correr.
12. Palazzo Ducale
The Palazzo Ducale was the seat and symbol of the government of the Republic of Venice. Thanks to a tenacious determination, Tintoretto managed to acquire a position among the painters responsible for the decoration of its halls, the most important and prestigious of the city. The works painted in the 1550s and 1560s were almost all destroyed – along with those of other great artists – in two fires in 1574 and in 1577. What survived of Tintoretto’s work was the ceiling of the Atrio Quadrato (1562-1565). After the fires, the artist participated very actively, with his workshop, in the new decoration of the building. A tour of the palace “in the footsteps” of Tintoretto starts from the Atrio Quadrato, the first great hall to be reached from the Scala d’Oro (Golden Staircase); it continues in the Sala delle Quattro Porte (Room of the Four Doors), where the ceiling preserves the artist’s only frescoes still visible even if almost completely repainted, and then in the Sala dell’Anticollegio, where four splendid allegories of the virtues of the Republic’s good government ▼ are usually on show. They are temporarily displayed in the Doge’s apartment in the Tintoretto 1519/1594 exhibition (◄ two of them will be present in the American edition of the exhibition). The itinerary then leads to the Sala del Collegio, containing four large devotional paintings of doges by Tintoretto; two others are displayed in the adjoining Sala del Senato, where, on the ceiling, one can see the famous Triumph of Venice as Queen of the Seas (1581-84). Going down to the first floor, the imposing Sala del Maggior Consiglio is dominated by the huge canvas of Paradise, painted by Tintoretto with his son Domenico (1588-92), but the artist is also present on the ceiling with the great narrative of the Voluntary submission of the provinces to Venetian domination (Triumph of Doge Nicolò Da Ponte) (1579) and four other episodes of the city’s history. Finally, in the Sala dello Scrutinio, Tintoretto is present with the dynamic Battle of Zara (1584). Also worthy of note is The Return of the Prodigal Son (1570-75) decorating the ceiling of the Sala degli Inquisitori, accessible to the public only via the Secret Itineraries tour.
From 1 April to 31 October, 8.30 a.m. - 7 p.m.; from 1 November to 31 March, 8.30 a.m. - 5.30 p.m. (ticket office closes one hour before).
Combined ticket with Museo Correr and Monumental Halls of the Biblioteca Marciana.
13. Museo Correr
Saint Justina with Three Treasurers and Their Secretaries, 1580, 217 × 184 cm
(on loan from the Gallerie dell’Accademia)
from 1 November to 31 March, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.; from 1 April to 31 October, 10 a.m. - 7 p.m.(ticket office closes one hour before).
Combined ticket with Palazzo Ducale and Monumental Halls of the Biblioteca Marciana.
14. Church of Santo Stefano
The Last Supper, 1576, 349 × 530 cm
The Washing of the Feet, 1576, 333 × 230.5 cm
The Agony in the Garden, 1576, 334 × 293 cm
Daily, 8.30 a.m. - 7 p.m.
15. Church of San Moisè
The Washing of the Feet, 1585-90, 559 × 257 cm
Daily, 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.
16. Church of Santa Maria Zobenigo* (S.M. del Giglio)
Saint Mark and Saint John, 1557, 257 × 150 cm
Saint Luke and Saint Matthew, 1557, 259 × 150 cm
Mon. - Sat., 10.30 a.m. - 4.30 p.m. (last entrance 4.20 p.m.)