Basilica of St. Giovanni and St. Paolo
One of the largest cathedrals of Venice, the Basilica of San Giovanni and Paolo, also known by Venitians as San Zanipolo, stands in the Castello, one of the six sestieri – districts - of the city.
Legend wants that, after a holy vision, Doge Jacopo Tiepolo ordered to start building the cathedral. Completed in 1430, the structure is a notable example of the Italian gothic style and it is dedicated to John and Paul, not the biblical apostles, but two obscure martyrs of the Early Christian Church of Rome. Since the beginning, the basilica has been guarded by the Dominican order, while from the 15th century, it became also a pantheon, as many doges used it as their burial place.
During the centuries, many renowned artists enriched the cathedral with their creations: funerary monuments, statues, frescoes, paintings array the interior. Inside, the basilica presents itself as a huge summery of the Italian history of art. From the Middle Ages to the 16th century, visitors are able to admire and to enter contact with the magnificence of some of the works by Giovanni Bellini, Titian, Tintoretto, Jacopo Palma, Giovanni Palma and many others.
Working days - from 09.00 a.m. to 06.00 p.m.
Public Holydays - from 12.00 p.m. to 06.00 p.m.
Website: Basilica Santi Giovanni e Paolo