The building, now housing a detached section of the Venice Naval Historical Museum collection of historic ships, consists of three serially arranged units, and of a fourth one, of similar size, orthogonal to the first ones.
The building was built in the mid-sixteenth Century as an oars workshop and storage facility. Shortly after its completion in 1577, it was temporarily adapted to house the Great Council, the main government body of the city, following the disastrous fire that had destroyed much of the Palazzo Ducale, making it useless for a long time.
Following the reorganization of the Arsenal started after 1866, when Venice was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy, the premises were used as storehouses and workshops by the Military Engineers.
In this period the roofing was restored, with the introduction of an interesting bidirectional system of iron ties which integrated the wooden roof trusses.
Since 1980, the area of the oars workshops has been known by the name of “Ships Pavilion”. It houses vessels of great historical importance as an annex of the museum.
By the tickets for Ship Pavillion + Naval Historical Museum:
- on line on venezia Unica
- on site by Venezia Unica ticket offices
ATTENTION: from June 2018 the Naval Historical Museum of Venice is only partially open to visitors. In this regard, the ticket will be reduced.
Open every day
1/11-31/03 from 11 am to 5 pm (last admission 4.00 pm)
1/04-31/10 from 11 am to 6 pm (last admission 5.00 pm)
Closed: December 25th and January 1st
Full price: 10.00 euro Reduced: 7.50 euro children aged from 6 to 14; students aged from 15 to 25; coordinators (max. 2) for groups of kids or students; citizens over 65; holders of Muve Friend Card Schools: 4.00 euro Residents: 1.55 euro Free entrance: staff of the Ministry of Defence; disabled people; children under 6 years old; ANMI; ICOM members