Fondaco dei Tedeschi
Also known as Fontego, it was once the offices, home and warehouse of German merchants who came to Venice. It was reconstructed in 1505-08 after a fire.
"Fondaci" were buildings owned by the Republic of Venice leased to foreign merchants. The word "fondaco" is Arabic in origin (funduq). The understated magnificence of the construction is evidence of the importance and the respect that the German community in Venice enjoyed. The structure of the building was functional to its specific use, where the warehouses and workshops were located around a vast open courtyard.The frescoes by Giorgione and Titian that once decorated the façades have been lost, except for a small piece now held at the Accademia Galleries.
On October 1st 2016 the Fondaco reopen to the public after its restoration as a shopping and cultural center.